Ski for Light, Inc.®
Skiing. Sharing. Learning. The mission of Ski for Light is to enhance the quality of life
and independence of visually or mobility-impaired adults through a program of
What is Ski for Light?
Ski for Light, Inc. is an all-volunteer non-profit organization founded in 1975 that teaches the basics of classic cross-country skiing to adults who are visually- or mobility-impaired, while giving participants who have already learned the basics of the sport the chance to improve their skills or to just have fun on the snow. All of this takes place during an annual week-long event at a U.S. location that changes from year to year, and is made possible by the volunteer sighted and able-bodied experienced cross-country skiers who attend as guides and instructors. But Ski for Light is much more than a learn-to-ski program. Here is a more complete Description of the Ski for Light Program and how it works.
Are You New to Ski for Light?
There are links to lots of information on this page for both
sighted and visually- or mobility-impaired people who want to know more about us.
See particularly the links under SFL Publications, News, History and
Other Information further down the page.
If you are thinking about attending Ski for Light the best place to start
may be to watch the Ski for Light video that was produced during the 2013 event in Michigan. It does a
great job showing and telling the story of Ski for Light in an inspiring
If you are thinking about attending Ski for Light as a visually- or mobility-impaired participant, you may also want to read the Information for Prospective First-Time
Attendees. This provides much more information about the totality of the SFL experience, and the reasons why it is often described as a life-changing experience.
Also, check us out on Facebook, and please contact us with your
questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2015 Ski for Light International Week
The 40th annual Ski for Light International week will be held in Granby, Colorado from Sunday January 25 through Sunday February 1, 2015. We will stay at The Inn at Silver Creek and ski at nearby Snow Mountain Ranch
This will be the ninth Ski for Light event held in Granby since 1992. We have returned again and again because the combination of great skiing and a comfortable event hotel found in Granby is hard to beat anywhere else. The Inn at Silver Creek offers more than 200 rooms, an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, both indoor and outdoor hot-tubs and plenty of convention and meeting space for our needs. Snow Mountain Ranch, near Winter Park and part of the YMCA of the Rockies, has 100 kilometers of wide and wonderfully groomed trails. It is consistently rated one of the top Nordic venues in the country.
If you have never before attended what many
have called the experience of a lifetime, please read
Information for Prospective First-Time
Attendees to learn what the week is all about and how it
works. If you are a veteran of previous SFL events, please
proceed directly to the Details of the 2015 Event
to learn the details of the event and to access the easy-to-complete 2015 online application form. We look forward to seeing you in Colorado!
Information and Forms for Accepted Applicants
If you have been notified by your applications coordinator that you have been accepted as an attendee for the 2015 event, you can take care of a number of items related to your attendance on the Information and Forms for Accepted Applicants page. You can make your payment online with your credit card, sign up to lead a Special-Interest session, and let us know how and when you will be arriving in Colorado.
Looking Back at the 2014 International Event
- Many people who attended the recently completed SFL 2014 event in Anchorage have posted individual photos as well as photo albums to the SFL Facebook page. If you are not a follower, you may view the photos here If you have additional photos to contribute, or would like a copy of one or two photos from the site, Leslie Maclin, chair of the SFL Social Media committee, stands ready to assist you. Please write to her at LeslieMaclin@att.net
- Anchorage’s NBC television affiliate KTUU produced and ran a
special feature about the SFL event. It ran on Monday March 3, and
does a good job explaining and showcasing the program to the public.
You may watch it here
SFL Publications, News, History and Other Information
Stay in Touch With Ski for Light
Join the SFL Community Conversation on Facebook and LinkedIn
Subscribe to the SFL Listservs
Ski for Light maintains two electronic mailing lists for people who are interested in the activities and programs of the organization:
- The SFL-Announce mailing list is a low traffic, announce only list used to send you timely information about Ski for Light events, activities and people.
To subscribe to sfl-Announce send an empty e-mail message to email@example.com
- The SFL-L mailing list is a general discussion list that provides a forum
for individuals to exchange ideas and information about SFL programs, or about other sports and outdoor activities for persons with disabilities. Replies to list messages go to the entire membership of the list. To subscribe to sfl-l send an empty e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate to Ski for Light
Ski for Light needs your financial support to keep the cost of the program affordable for all.
Continue to the Ways to Donate page.
- You may make your donation via regular mail or via secure credit card transaction from this website
- Your gift may be designated for:
- The general operating fund, our area of greatest need, which
provides scholarships for blind and mobility-impaired skiers, pays for all event training and similar materials, and much, much more
- The Marilou Goodfellow Fund, which provides stipends for volunteer guides and helps defray the costs of guide training
- The Ski for Light Endowment Fund, which works to ensure that the program will remain available for future generations
- Your gift may be made in honor or memory of someone special
- You can become a Life Member of Friends of Ski for Light by donating $400 or more to the Endowment Fund. To see the list of life members, click here.
- Learn how to make a special Planned Gift to Ski for Light
Contacting Ski for Light
- For general information about Ski for Light,
send an e-mail message to: email@example.com.
- To contact an officer or board member of Ski for Light by e-mail please go to the SFL Board roster.
Other Events of Interest
- Regional Roundup
A calendar of upcoming regional events, events of shorter duration
held in various locations throughout the U.S.
- The Ridderrenn
The Norwegian event upon which Ski for Light is modeled. The next Ridderrenn, the 52nd annual event, will take place March 8 - 15, 2015 in Beitostolen, Norway
- Ski for Light Canada
The 36th annual SFL Canada event will take place February 9 - 15, 2015 in Kamloops, British Columbia.
Ski for Light is very grateful for the support of the
Sons of Norway
and our corporate sponsors.
Ski for Light, Inc. is a supporting organization member of the
Cross Country Ski Areas Association (CCSAA).
Ski for Light, Inc. is registered with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-deductible organization (ID #51-0175938).
Ski for Light, Inc. supports full disclosure and accountability
for nonprofit corporations and is registered with GuideStar®.
Ski for Light, Inc.
1455 West Lake Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
Ski for Light, Inc. is a registered trademark. All rights reserved.
Last updated on September 2, 2014