Ski for Light, Inc.®
Skiing. Sharing. Learning. The mission of Ski for Light is to enhance the
quality of life and independence of visually or mobility-impaired adults through a
program of cross-country skiing.
What is Ski for Light?
Ski for Light, Inc. is an all-volunteer non-profit organization founded in 1975 that
teaches the basics of classic cross-country skiing to adults who are visually- or
mobility-impaired, while giving participants who have already learned the basics of the
sport the chance to improve their skills or to just have fun on the snow. All of this
takes place during an annual week-long event at a U.S. location that changes from year
to year, and is made possible by the volunteer sighted and able-bodied experienced
cross-country skiers who attend as guides and instructors. But Ski for Light is much
more than a learn-to-ski program. Here is a more complete Description of the Ski for Light Program and how
Are You New to Ski for Light?
There are links to lots of information on this page for both sighted and visually-
or mobility-impaired people who want to know more about us. See particularly the links
under SFL Publications, News, History and Other Information further down the page.
If you are thinking about attending Ski for Light the best place to start may be to
watch the Ski for Light
video that was produced during the 2013 event in Michigan. It does a great job
showing and telling the story of Ski for Light in an inspiring manner.
If you are thinking about attending Ski for Light as a visually- or
mobility-impaired participant, you may also want to read the Information for Prospective First-Time
Attendees. This provides much more information about the totality of the SFL
experience, and the reasons why it is often described as a life-changing
Also, check us out on
Facebook, and please contact us with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2016 Ski for Light International Week
The 41st annual Ski for Light International Week will take place from Sunday January 24 to Saturday January 30 in Northwest Lower Michigan on the grounds of Shanty Creek Resorts in Bellaire, Michigan. Located just 45 minutes from the Traverse City airport, Shanty Creek Resorts is a 4,500 acre complex containing three housing and entertainment
villages, both cross-country and downhill ski trails, a tubing hill, several swimming pools and hot-tubs, a fitness center and spa, and much more. Shanty
Creek Resorts is a true destination
resort, with everything you might want right on the grounds.
Please be aware that:
- The traditional Sunday to Sunday seven-day SFL week has been shortened to a Sunday to Saturday six-day event for 2016.
- The week has been shortened for 2016 because trail congestion at Shanty Creek Resorts on weekends makes it unwise and unsafe to attempt to hold the race and rally on the usual Saturday, hence the race and rally will be held on Friday in 2016. This allows the week to be shortened by one day, with Saturday departure, as a test of whether or not a shorter event week, with the corresponding lower cost for the week, would be preferable for most participants. This is a one year test, to be thoroughly evaluated after the end of the 2016 event.
- While the SFL week will conclude on Saturday morning, some
attendees may choose to stay over one or more additional days as has
sometimes been done in the past. Arrangements for additional nights
at Shanty Creek can be made at SFL room rates through your
applications coordinator. The resort's many regular facilities will be
available to those staying over. Those staying over will be responsible
for arranging activities and for all costs associated with the additional
time including room, meals, activities, and transportation from the
hotel to the airport.
If you have never before attended what many have called the experience of a
lifetime, please read Information for
Prospective First-Time Attendees to learn what the week is all about and how it
If you are a veteran of previous SFL events, please proceed directly to the
Details of the 2016 Event to learn the details
of the event and to access the easy-to-complete 2016 online application forms. We look
forward to seeing you in Michigan!
Looking Back at the 2015 International Event
- View or download the Olav Pedersen Race and Rally results (MS Excel format) from the 2015 event.
- Many people who attended the recently completed SFL 2015 event in Colorado have
posted individual photos as well as photo albums to the SFL Facebook page. If you are
not a follower, you may view the photos here If you have additional photos to
contribute, or would like a copy of one or two photos from the site, Leslie Maclin,
chair of the SFL Social Media committee, stands ready to assist you. Please write to
her at LeslieMaclin@att.net
- Ski for Light 40th Anniversary Song
Jim Salestrom, singer, song,writer and long-time friend of Ski for Light
has written a song
to celebrate Ski for Light's 40th anniversary. Thank you, Jim.
SFL Publications, News, History and Other Information
- The SFL Information and Media
Current and historical information about the SFL program and annual events and
materials to help recruit new participants and guides.
- The SFL Bulletin
including the complete text of the current issue and highlights from past issues
- The History of SFL
"How it All Began" and other information about the evolution and history of SFL.
- SFL Awards and Honors
winners of the various SFL awards and honors.
- The 2014 Annual Report of SFL
(Adobe PDF format)
- The Program Book for the 2015 Event
(Adobe pdf format)
- Guide Handbook (Adobe pdf format)
Updated SFL Guide Handbook
An update of the Ski for Light Guide Handbook for 2014 - 2015 is now available. The twenty-four page booklet contains a wealth of general skiing tips,
a standard progression of instruction for beginners, and other information to help
new guides approach their first event with confidence, and to help everyone ski together
more safely and enjoyably.
- Important Organizational and Financial
Stay in Touch With Ski for Light
Join the SFL Community Conversation on Facebook and LinkedIn
Subscribe to the SFL Listservs
Ski for Light maintains two electronic mailing
lists for people who are interested in the activities and programs of the organization:
- The SFL-Announce mailing list is a low traffic, announce only list used to send
you timely information about Ski for Light events, activities and people. To
subscribe to sfl-Announce send an empty e-mail message to email@example.com
- The SFL-L mailing list is a general discussion list that provides a forum for
individuals to exchange ideas and information about SFL programs, or about other
sports and outdoor activities for persons with disabilities. Replies to list messages
go to the entire membership of the list. To subscribe to sfl-l send an empty e-mail
message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate to Ski for Light
Ski for Light needs your financial support to keep the cost of the program affordable for all.
Continue to the Ways to Donate page.
- You may make your donation via regular mail or via secure credit card transaction
from this website
- Your gift may be designated for:
- The general operating fund, our area of greatest need, which provides
scholarships for blind and mobility-impaired skiers, pays for all event training
and similar materials, and much, much more
- The Marilou Goodfellow Fund, which provides stipends for volunteer guides and
helps defray the costs of guide training
- The Ski for Light Endowment Fund, which works to ensure that the program will
remain available for future generations
- Your gift may be made in honor or memory of someone special
- You can become a Life Member of Friends of Ski for Light by donating $400
or more to the Endowment Fund. To see the list of life members,
- Learn how to make a special Planned Gift to Ski for Light
Contacting Ski for Light
- For general information about Ski for Light, send an e-mail message to:
- To contact an officer or board member of Ski for Light by e-mail please go to the
SFL Board roster.
Other Events of Interest
- Regional Roundup
A calendar of upcoming regional events, events of shorter duration held in various
locations throughout the U.S.
- The Ridderrenn
The Norwegian event upon which Ski for Light is modeled. The next Ridderrenn, the
53rd annual event, will take place April 3 - 10, 2016 in Beitostolen, Norway
- Ski for Light Canada
The 37th annual SFL Canada event will take place February 1 - 7, 2016 at William Watson Lodge in Kananaskis, Alberta.
Ski for Light is very grateful for the support of the
Sons of Norway and our
Ski for Light, Inc. is a supporting organization member of the Cross Country Ski Areas Association (CCSAA).
Ski for Light, Inc. is registered with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-deductible
organization (ID #51-0175938).
Ski for Light, Inc. supports full disclosure and accountability for nonprofit
corporations and is registered with GuideStar®.
Ski for Light, Inc.
1455 West Lake Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
Ski for Light, Inc. is a registered trademark. All rights reserved.
Last updated on August 8, 2015